Built-in plugins?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Fri Nov 15 15:10:28 UTC 2019

Hey,

Is there any benefit in keeping per-vendor plugins installed as
separate .so files and loaded during runtime?

Does anyone know of any out-of-tree MM plugin out there? I would bet
there isn't any as we truly haven't kept a stable plugin API like
never ever.

Thinking of installed size, I believe we may end up duplicating a lot
of code when plugins share common code, as the utils libraries are not
installed, they get incorporated in the plugins themselves. This also
makes some unexpected runtime errors if a plugin tries to register a
type that some other plugin has already registered (just had this one
today with the new Foxconn plugin in git master, which shares code
with the Dell plugin).

What if we just simplify the setup and get all incorporated in the
daemon binary itself (for MM 1.14 for example)?