[libnice] how does libnice keep a connection alive

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 15:19:04 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-09-25 at 08:02 -0700, Tom Chen wrote:
> Philip,
> Thank you for the reply! you are always willing to help others.
>
> "You must send all packets through it", do you mean that upper level
> packets, like media stream data, must be sent through ICE
> transmission functions like nice_agent_send()?

Yup, if you want to use TURN (which is necessary for being able to
guarantee connectivity).

> I always thought that ICE is to find the optimal path to the remote
> clients and once the path has been found, ice will give up the
> connection  or use some ways to duplicate its  socket for others,
> like media streams, to use. If so, i may have to drastically change
> our software architecture as our current SIP stack needs ip, port
> numbers to create socket itself, that is why i am asking how we can
> bind two sockets to the same ip & port number if ICE continues to
> hold them.

I know other pieces of software have got around this by creating a
local loopback socket for their SIP stack, then splicing the listening
end of that socket to nice_agent_[send|receive]_messages().

Isn’t networking fun? :-)

Philip