[libnice] Force an external address (srflx) candidate?

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Fri Oct 16 13:07:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

I think there are 2 things we could do.

1. We can add a new API like:
nice_agent_add_local_address_with_external(agent,internal_addr,
external_address)

This API would let libnice know about such forwarded addresses. We can
then expose it to the peer as a host candidate with the external
address. And internally libnice could use it as a normal host
candidate.

If you know for sure that the machine is not behind an unexpected NAT
(ie, it's a server). Then you would not longer need to set a STUN or
TURN server on that machine and you should be able to only have host
candidates so the gathering should be instant.

2. We already have nice_agent_add_local_address() for the application
to select internal addresses to use. As you know, if this API is not
use, we just gather the addresses of all interfaces. I wonder if it
wouldn't be a good idea to have a property to restrict the automatic
gathering to only the default interface. That will reduce the number of
candidates and it should make operations faster.

Olivier