[Openchrome-users] K8M800/X.org 6.9/Debian. Unknown card-ids. Screen stays black.

Catoio Di Menti dimenticatoio
Sat Feb 4 11:04:54 PST 2006

Greetings!

I've just bought a laptop, which mounts a Unichrome Pro video card(
1106:3108 (rev 01) -- by googling, I found out it's K8M800-based).

I have installed the X.org server (v. 6.9) from Debian unstable and set it
up to use the "via" driver.

It seems to run (I can hear KDE's startup sounds, for instance), but all I
see a completely black screen. I have to resort to ctrl-alt-backspace to
exit.

Maybe this line I get on standard error is relevant to the problem?
(EE) VIA(0): Unknown Card-Ids (1071|8889), report this to the driver
maintainer ASAP

(Incidentally, that's the only line where the word "VIA" appears).

Now I'm stuck with fbdev. Bummer.

My kernel is 2.6.15-1-k7, the prebuilt one you obtain using apt-get.

I'd be very glad if anybody could help me. If you need further details (like
the complete dump of error messages)
please say so.

Thanks in advance!