[Openchrome-users] Newbee Question: Openchrome sufficient for watching DivX?

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Wed Mar 8 11:24:16 PST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 18:48, Bazon wrote:
> OK, I'll try to search such a version, but if anyone has a link I
> wouldn't be unhappy...;-)

The ubuntu xine should have xvmc enabled. Did you install the ubuntu libxvmc
packages? I'm not sure if there's a xine-xvmc package too. Do a search for
xvmc in the installer.

> So there is only the officical via driver which only includes mpeg
> accelearation for root? > That'd would be a bad situation...

The openchrome driver provides mpeg2 hardware acceleration... and as long as
you're not hd res video divx should play ok.

> And yes, I don't have any problems with DivX on XP on my Via Epia M
> 6000....

as john mentioned the EPIAM doesn't accelerate divx. So XP is playing software
only too.

> Is there really no-one who managed to watch DivX on this board on Linux,
> too?

As long as the divx isn't hd res or something, it should play fine as long as
you have working Xv.

> That's strange because the failure message was:
> configure: error: conditional "HAVE_XV" was never defined.

VeXP is only for use with the VIA driver and binary mpeg library.

--
Ivor Hewitt.