[Openchrome-users] Newbee Question: Openchrome sufficient for watching DivX?

Bazon bazonbloch
Wed Mar 8 23:08:30 PST 2006

Ivor Hewitt schrieb:

>On Wednesday 08 March 2006 18:48, Bazon wrote:
>

>>OK, I'll try to search such a version, but if anyone has a link I
>>wouldn't be unhappy...;-)
>>

>The ubuntu xine should have xvmc enabled. Did you install the ubuntu libxvmc
>packages? I'm not sure if there's a xine-xvmc package too. Do a search for
>xvmc in the installer.

I have libxvmc.
Search for xvmc in Synaptic Installer leads to ([x]=installed, [ ]= not
installed):
[x] libxvmc
[ ] libxvmc1
[ ] libxvmc1-dbg
[ ] libxvmc-dev
That's all.
If I try to install libxvmc1 (the others aren't important for me I
think...), I get this error message:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libxvmc1_1%3a1.1.0-2_i386.deb: versuche
?/usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1? zu ?berschreiben, welches auch in Paket libxvmc ist

which is translated:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libxvmc1_1%3a1.1.0-2_i386.deb: try to
overwrite  ?/usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1?, which is also in Pacet libxvmc.

>>And yes, I don't have any problems with DivX on XP on my Via Epia M
>>6000....
>>

>as john mentioned the EPIAM doesn't accelerate divx. So XP is playing software
>only too.

Ah! I see....

>>Is there really no-one who managed to watch DivX on this board on Linux,
>>too?
>>

>As long as the divx isn't hd res or something, it should play fine as long as
>you have working Xv.

With Xv you mean xvmc?
I mean, I can select xv driver in Xine or in mplayer, but then again
video output is too slow (as always yet...)

>VeXP is only for use with the VIA driver and binary mpeg library.

OK, thnks.

So the best strategy to get DivX Playback in Linux working is getting
xvmc support in a videoplayer, right?

Thanks,
Bazon