[Openchrome-users] Hypothetically, what would it cost to pay someone to get the CN700 working?

Chad masterclc
Sun Sep 10 00:01:23 PDT 2006

Thanks for the reply!

On 9/9/06, Lasse Bigum <Lasse at hardwareonline.dk> wrote:
> On 19:19, Sat 09 Sep, Chad wrote:
> > I'm just wondering what it would cost, typically, if someone were paid
> > to develop the openchrome drivers to fully work with and use the CN700
> > chipset (on the EN12000EG)?  And, somewhat equally important, also
> > ensure it works in Xine, mplayer and MythTV to playback HDTV?
>
> First off, really nice idea, I'd actually be willing to chip in to get
> such work done, but I have a question first.

Thanks!  As far as chipping in goes, hopefully we can get a ball park
to see if it's even fathomable for a group of people to buy the time
it would take for a capable programmer to complete such a task.  I
understand a [good] programmers time is far more expensive than I had
ever imagined.  But I don't have the first clue how much time this
project would take, or the rate of a qualified driver
writer/programmer to undertake this type of project.

> I only use my EN15000G as a mail- and webserver at the moment, and have
> only tried playing back regular AVI streams, so I really haven't tried
> to use it in a HTPC setup yet, which I am about to in about 4 weeks
> though.
>
> My question is: What part of the CN700 functionaly is not working now?

Well, from my limited knowledge (as is hopefully portrayed in the
initial email) it would seem XvMC isn't working quite yet, and that
much of anything else is hit and miss (aka dodgy) at it's given state.
 This means (to me) that HDTV playback won't work on the given status
of openchrome and this chipset.

> I seemed to have X working fine with the openchrome driver, except for
> some minor problems that have already been documented on the
> mailinglist, such as not being able to use NTSC and a CRT at the same
> time. I'm not sure I got mplayer to work with XvMC, but I never patched
> it in the first place, so I'm not surprised ;)

These types of problems are the kind of thing I was addressing in the
original email.

> > I'm not even sure where you'd solicite such a person, but am basically
> > just curious at this point if anyone has a 'ball park' figure.
>
> This mailinglist, with openchrome being upstream for the Xorg guys
> regarding via drivers, seems to be the perfect place for such a request
> :)
>
> /Lasse

I would hope so too.  I received one reply off list that asked about
my credentials such as my business name and where it's located, etc.
I hope I didn't come across as making any offers or suggesting that I
am looking for such a person to do this for 'my company'.  At my
current level, I'm simply interested (me as a user, not as a
commercial entity) in what something like that might cost a company
(or even an individual) to get done.  I do indeed have a [very] small
business, but I am not representing my company, nor am I making a
request for this type of project.  Basically just curious at this
point.

Thanks!

-Chad