[Openchrome-users] How to enable CRT/VGA???

Jacob Tranholm jt
Thu Feb 22 11:41:02 PST 2007

First of all I have to explain that I actually have a working setup using
a clone of my LCD-screen for the CRT/VGA output. I am using this quite
frequently with presentations on projectors. The problem is, that I am
forced to use my dualboot option and start by booting up into Windows in
order to activate the CRT/VGA output from Windows using the function-key
associated with this feature. Afterwards I can reboot into Linux and run
the presentation...

If the CRT/VGA output is not at first activated from Windows, there will
be no output on the CRT/VGA plug. But for some reason Linux (and the
openchrome module) cannot see that there is no connection to the
monitor/projector. There are no error-messages, and when I select 'Option
ActiveDevice "CRT"' (instead of my usual setting 'Option ActiveDevice
"LCD,CRT"') the laptop is running X without actual access to a monitor...
And still no error-messages. As far as I can see, the computer thinks it
has access to a monitor using the CRT/VGA output.

I don't know what the Windows function associated with the screen
selection key is, but I imagine some sort of BIOS access from Windows. In
my BIOS-selection tables there are however no options regarding the
video-out features.

I hope to find some function for Linux that will allow me to activate the
CRT/VGA output. And perhaps select between the different output methods.
Is that possible???

According to 'glxinfo' my graphic card is:
OpenGL vendor string: VIA Technology
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI UniChrome (K8M800) 20060710
x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.5.1

And my laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote B3236D.

Best regards
Jacob Tranholm