[Openchrome-users] strange startup, and can't run 1920x1080, SP8000E w/DVI-02

3d userforum
Sun Jan 21 09:25:19 PST 2007

Re: strange startup, and can't run 1920x1080, SP8000E w/DVI-02
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 09:45:36AM -0500, gpeters at deepsky.com wrote:
> >
> > I've tried depth 16, this works.  But -depth 24 -fbbpp 24 does not work.
> >

> It seems I spoke too soon.  If I run depth 16, but there's a very odd flashing
> effect on the display; quite regularly the display flashes, and it seems the origin
> of the display has moved up or down.  I don't know if I should blame my display or
> the driver for this, but I'm leaning a bit towards driver.

Here is what I asked VIA back in December:
What are the maximum display resolutions supported by the SP and EK series motherboard when using the DVI adapters for output? I can't find any information on your website. I was about to buy some of these boards for use as linux based HD-HTPC (mythtv) front ends but I saw something on a site which alluded to the DVI output only supporting 1024x768 output. I plan on using 1920x1080p as I am currently using on my P4 boxes which I was hoping these would replace.

There response was:
Our DVI daughterboard supports resolution up to 1600x1200.

Also, I thought I read explicitly that 1920x1080 was supported by the VGA port (although it would be blurry no doubt) on these boards.  Hmm. I've haven't tried hooking mine up to my HD LCD yet.  Perhaps I'll have chance to work around the family and try it later today.  If it can do 1920x1080 via VGA but not DVI then it's not a memory bandwidth problem but may be bottleneck elsewhere (which is what VIA said would happen).

--Scott

----

Reply Link: <http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_reply_threadId=2888&comments_parentId=2885&post_reply=1#form>