[Openchrome-users] Black screen with VIA Chrome9 HC DX9

Tassilo Horn tassilo
Wed Jun 20 06:11:49 PDT 2007

Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net> writes:

Hi Benno,

>> I'm trying to install ubuntu on a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO La 1703 of a
>> friend of mine but I cannot get X11 running (except with vesa in
>> 800x640 mode). The graphic chip is VIA Chrome9 HC DX9.
>>
>> I checked out the experimental branch (that was last week thursday),
>> compiled it and installed it, but all I get is a black screen.
>
> Comment out the loading of the dri and glx modules.  Add the option
> VBEModes "True" to the via Device section.  Also comment out the DPMS
> option in the monitor section for the moment.

Ok, I'll do that when I have access to that computer the next time,
hopefully this evening. I'll report back if it works then.

>> I don't care of 3D, but getting 2D working with the TFT's native
>> resolution (1280x960) would make me very happy.
>
> But there's no 1280x960 resolution in your list of VESA modes.  And in
> your xorg.conf you're setting 1280x800.  Which is right?

Sorry, my fault, 1280x800 is right. What's the list of VESA modes you're
talking about? Does that matter if Driver is set to "via"?

Thanks for your help,
Tassilo