[Openchrome-users] Blank Screen when using dual-head

Paulo Zanoni przanoni
Mon Nov 19 10:14:30 PST 2007

Hi, guys!

I have some machines in a lab with via (Unichrome Pro IGP rev 01
0x3344) onboard cards, and we were using VESA (since the normal "via"
doesn't work). These machines are all multi-head X (with via + some
other cards). We run a multi-head X and some Xephyrs on each screen
(for multiseat).

- First problem:
(not with openchrome, but maybe some of you guys could help)

With the VESA driver on the via 0x3344 card, after some random time
(from 0 to infinite seconds) the screens start to get incorrectly
drawn.

For example:
If you do something like "minimizing a window", the screen (maybe the
via(vesa) screen or maybe the other screens) won't get correctly
drawn. But if you "mouse-over" the incorrectly-drawn areas, that
little part will get correclty drawn.

This bug happens on all screens, but it ONLY happens in machines that
have the via card. So maybe it is related to the card?

- Second problem:

So I decided to install the "openchrome" driver to see if it works
(newest SVN revision)...

On some machines it works, and on some machines the screen gets black.
If I'm using setups like "new nvidia cards + openchrome" everything
works fine, but if I'm using like "old sis cards + openchrome", the
openchrome screen will get black.

The screen IS started by X, you can even "open applications" on it,
but the screen stays black. SOMETIMES if I open an Xephyr on the
screen it will magically start working.

On all machines, if I only start the openchrome screen, it works. So
maybe the driver is not using RAC correctly? Maybe there is some
hardware bug on the mobo?

And I still don't know if the first problem doesn't happen with
"openchrome" instead of vesa...

Is any of these bugs known?

If you could point me some debugging points I can try to help...

Thanks!
Paulo.