[Openchrome-users] HP 2133 1.6 2GB/120 WLAN BT 3-CELL 8.9#VHB

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Fri Dec 26 19:37:18 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Miguel Alvarez Blanco y Aurora
Costales Castro <miguelyoyi at telecable.es> wrote:
> Miguel Alvarez Blanco y Aurora Costales Castro escribi?:
> Hi, Jon.
>
>> I am curious.  Did you say that the windows driver runs at 1366x768?
>> I looked online and some HP 2133's do have a resolution of 1024x600.
>> I am just wondering if perhaps these Mini Notes run at an interpolated
>> higher resolution on an actual 1024x600 screen.  How does everything
>> look if you choose 1024x600 in Gnome's resolution changer?  Let me
>> know about the results.
>
> No, the windows driver runs at 1024x600, that was the default and
> maximum resolution you could get. So, maybe yes, the screen can be
> 1024x600 and the 1366x768 gets interpolated in Windows. If you choose
> 1024x768 in Gnome's resolution changer (using the later xorg.conf and
> svn source, but also in previous cases as long as VBE modes are not
> used), you have pretty much the same as in any other resolution:
>
> * The changer makes it so that the Virtual Desktop equals the resolution
> set (only in some odd cases where Gnome's name for the mode referred to
> a higher resolution than that actually reported by xvidtune will you get
> panning when moving the mouse off the edges of xvidtune's area, which is
> different from the viewable area).
>
> * The panel shows only about 75% of the Virtual desktop/xvidtune
> resolution; in this case, about 772x466, which come from the top left
> corner of the Virtual desktop. That is what you see, but there is action
> all over the Virtual desktop, i.e., in gnome's top bar/panel, you miss
> 25% of it, the right part, where the calendar/clock and window selection
> are usually displayed. Or, for example, in gdm's greeting window, you
> see the login rectangle displaced to the right and bottom, and you
> cannot see the buttons that usually lie on the bottom part of the
> screen. They are still there, you can move the mouse out of the viewable
> area (and it does not return back immediately, that is, it "feels" there
> is room in the Virtual Desktop), and if you get lucky you can click on
> these buttons. It is as if the viewable area were the real resolution
> and the xvidtune mode/Virtual Desktop were a Virtual desktop larger than
> the real resolution: the mouse can move freely, windows can be placed,
> and window manager elements like the panel, too, all over the Virtual
> Desktop; in those cases, in a normal environment, you would get panning
> when the mouse hits the border of the viewable area; in my case, it is
> as if the system behaved in that way, but without the panning, and so
> the area displayed is always the same, and the mouse could get out of it.
>
> To make it easier: I am attaching a screen capture of the whole screen,
> that shows the Virtual Desktop, with a window resized to fit the
> viewable area (minus the top gnome panel, it seems that I cannot overlap
> a window with it no matter what, and perhaps 5-6 pixels of Desktop that
> could be viewed under it, I did it with a text window instead of with a
> [...]

Okay things are a bit more clear to me now.  Either the bios is
reporting and incorrect resolution value, or we are evaluating it
wrong and setting the 1366x768 resolution.  The real resolution of
this lcd should be 1024x600.  But because we are detecting the larger
resolution you are getting a virtual desktop larger than the
resolution of the LCD.  So what you want to actually do is in the
Display Device section of your xorg.conf add the following option

Option "PanelSize" "1024x600"

That should override what is being read from the Scratch registers and
allow a proper resolution and viewable area to be setup.

Jon