[Openchrome-users] mplayer and P4M900 and xvmc

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Feb 14 07:57:40 PST 2008

J. Dale Gonzalez wrote:
> On 2/12/08, J. Dale Gonzalez <dale.gonzalez at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> After successfully getting openchrome running and theoretically
>> getting DRM and agp running, I'm trying to patch mplayer.  I've tried
>> using the diff files against the current mplayer trunk, which
>> obviously didn't work.  I manually made the changes to the necessary
>> files and recompiled and got something to compile.  When I attempted
>> to view HD video, I got a message stating that the system couldn't
>> find a suitable canvas (or something the actual log is attached).
>> Finally, thinking I had messed up applying the changes,  I grabbed the
>> rc2 source and the rc2 patch file and tried HD video.  I got the same
>> message as when I took trunk and hand applied the diff.
>>
>> So, here's where I am: standard def video plays fine with just the
>> "-vo xv" both with rc2 and my hand applied changes.  High def video
>> "tries" to play.  The system keeps up for a little while and then I
>> start getting warnings, video audio sync issues occur, etc...  With
>> "-vo xvmc,xv -vc ffmpeg12mc," both the rc2 source and the hand patched
>> source show a screen filled with green and purple snow.  I attempted
>> to do a screen grab but all I got was a black rectangle.  I'm assuming
>> that the direct draw to the graphics card is bypassing whatever the OS
>> uses to do screen grab.  I can take a photo by hand if someone really
>> needs to see it.
>>
>> I've attached Xorg.0.log and the output from mplayer SD and HD when
>> running with the "-vo xvmc,xv -vc ffmpeg12mc," switches.
>>
>> Two questions, first is something busted with either my openchrome
>> install, DRM patch or agp patch?  Did I mess something up with
>> mplayer? Or is the P4M900 just not really supported for XvMC.
>>
>> Second, does anyone want the diff file I created for the current trunk
>> of mplayer and the patches spec'd by the rc2 patch file?  I can't
>> verify that it works with xvmc for the problems noted above but it
>> does compile and show video without the xvmc flag.
>>

> Forgot to attach the files (slaps head)

I would recommend using xine rather than mplayer because it don't need
patching and works out of the box. At least validate XvMC is working
with xine, then go back at mplayer if you absolutely need mplayer.