[Openchrome-users] [openChrome] #283: CPU Load high with Openchrome in Fedora 10 in comparison with the Via driver in Fedora 6.

OpenChrome Trac trac
Mon Mar 2 18:45:29 PST 2009

#283: CPU Load high with Openchrome in Fedora 10 in comparison with the Via
driver in Fedora 6.
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  doug2233  |        Owner:  somebody
     Type:  defect    |       Status:  new
Blockedby:            |
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by doug2233):

 Today I have discovered that on about 50% of X starts - glxgears runs and
 runs with acceleration. The remaining 50% of starts I get the message as I
 previously identified.  Something unstable there!

 On the application side I am using pyGTK (python bindings for GTK+) to
 generate the displays.

 I see from the GTK documentation that it is supposed to 'just work' with X
 but in my case the acceleration (2D) does not happen,  yet, the Xorg
 logfile suggests that all is well.

 If the problem is not just limited to my hardware configuration then I
 would expect to see Gnome slow down under this fault as well. Gnome
 however would probably not be drawing screens in a heavily loaded CPU
 configuration like mine so it may not be noticeable.

 I am CPU bound in my application - so I see the excess CPU loading that I
 get with openchrome  as a significant reduction in the frame update rate.

--
Ticket URL: <http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/283#comment:7>
openChrome <http://www.openchrome.org/>