[Openchrome-users] CX700

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Mon Nov 23 02:16:38 PST 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:21:07PM +0000, steve lynch wrote:
> Ivor,
>
> I believe so, but its only been a few days and I'm still digging - I can't honestly say I know what I am looking for. If there is something you'd like me to look for I will.

ah ok. I was referring to someone using the via binary drivers (ddmpeg) and own mpeg player (VeMP). But I've found what I needed to now though thanks!

> I can say that MythTV is reporting use of MPEG2VIDEO_XVMC (note no _VLD - don't know if this is significant) and is showing ~40-50% CPU when playing terrestrial DVB on a 1.5GHz CX700MII? (this is total CPU on frontend/backend combo - I can get better stats later).

Mythtv will be using just Xv for playback on the CX700 (with any of the drivers) unless you have another video card in there of course! not quite sure why myth would be saying xvmc, you might want to check the frontend log in verbose mode to see why it's saying that.
40-50% sounds about right for Xv playback on the cx700.

> A question in return. Is this H/W -?assuming some current or future driver exposes the capability?- ever likely to get me decoding HD in H/W (in my case HD == UK Freesat which I believe to be 720p 25fps H.264)?

Apparently the H264 support in the CX700 chipset is actually broken (no idea in what way though). So no. and secondly no work has been carried out to implement mpeg4 support for any of the chips yet anway. (well except for the h263 support, but that was a complete waste of time).
If mpeg2 support is made to work then you should be able to get HD with no problems on the CX700 (the CN400 did 1920x1080i effortlessly).
Also... fyi freesat HD is DVB-S2 which is actually mpeg2 - 1080i. you're thinking of FreeviewHD which will be H264. apparently.

Cheers,
Ivor