[Openfontlibrary] david berlow on screen type

James Cloos cloos+fd-openfontlibrary at jhcloos.com
Thu Mar 8 02:48:02 PST 2007

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen Hartke <hartke at gmail.com> writes:

Stephen> The grayscale version (at least the completed part) looks
Stephen> great, and renders fine by FreeType in ftview, but I can't
Stephen> figure out how to make it usable for any other application.

What do you get when you put it alone in a directory, add that
directory in a <dir></dir> pair to your ~/.fonts.conf and run:

env FC_DEBUG=255 fc-cache -v /path/to/that/dir

And from:

fc-cat /path/to/that/dir

I'd try the greyscale bdf for this test.

The output on STDERR from the first command will be significant.

If the fc-cache command works and generates a cache file that fc-cat
can output as text, then also try:

env XFT_DEBUG=255 xfd -fa Font\ Name-Size

where Font\ Name is the family segment of the XLFD in the bdf file,
and size is probably one tenth of the PtSz in the XLFD.  You may
need to try several values for size until you find the right one if
your server's dpi setting is different from the one in the bdf file.

Make sure you do not have 70-no-bitmaps.conf in /etc/fonts/conf.d,
or anything like this in the fonts.conf:

,----(from 70-no-bitmaps.conf)
| <selectfont>
|  <rejectfont>
|   <pattern>
|   </pattern>
|  </rejectfont>
| </selectfont>
`----

If your fontconfig it old, fc-cache may create a text file in
/path/to/dir; in that case you can cat that file; in newer versions of
fontconfig fc-cat outputs data in the format of that old cache file.

Is the GreyDF available for download anywhere?

It'd be cool to give it a test.

I once tried to do that to 9x18, but quickly ran out of patience
at doing it by hand, an never found a good-enough algorithm to
automate the process.  (I did write a script to convert a bdf to
a gdf, but it only changed the depth, it didn't smooth the glyphs.
I got -- and lost -- a reference to a paper by John Hobby (of metafont
fame) which might help on that front, but I wasn't able to get to a
library that had a copy before an errant rm(1) killed the bibtex
file....)

-JimC