[Openfontlibrary] Font formats accepted by OFLB

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:48:38 PDT 2008

Hi, Ben,

Don't forget .ttc true type collections.  These will become more
popular in the future, I am sure.

I second Mark Leisher's suggestion to accept pcf and bdf.

Some people are going to provide one font in multiple font containers:
i.e., maybe ttf and pcf, or ttf and Postscript.

But I agree with you that the older Postscript containers are not
needed since OTF can contain Postscript outlines, right?

Ben Laenen's question is relevant.  Perhaps the right tack is for OFLB
to simply "encourage" inclusion of "at least" a ttf container.

Note however there are legitimate use cases where .bdf or .pcf might
be the first choice container -- for example, a monospaced bitmap
terminal font for Linux, especially for a non-Latin script where there
might not be other choices available.  Such a bitmap-only font should
also be packaged in a TTF container, but the main file that will
actually get used by people interested in that font is the bdf or pcf
file.

Best - Ed