[OpenFontLibrary] Hevetice Neue on the OpenFont site

Joshua A.C. Newman joshua at joshuanewmandesign.com
Wed Jun 24 13:16:11 PDT 2009

Yeah, I've never done a proper font before — just some custom stuff to
mimic a bronze plaque and some experiments to learn — and I know
enough about type to know what I don't know. It is something I've
always wanted to do for real, though.

I'm a typesetter and graphic designer by trade and the money's just
never been in it to design a font before now, even if the money for an
OSS project is sort of... abstract.

I look forward to your proper release!

> I'd surely welcome your comments, and if you want to tweak the glyphs
> and send them to me to take a look at, please do - however, until I
> make a proper release, you can't redistribute your modified version
> :-)

Don't sweat it. I just need to use it for sketches for the time being
anyway. The project is asymptotically approaching release, so it'll be
a while yet before we decide enough is enough and just go for it.

The glyphs in question (to my eyes) are: 6,9 (the end of the counter
is kinda tight), e (it has a bulgy forehead), o (a little bit
square?), 3 (is it flat on the bottom? It keeps going back and forth
in my eyes), j (I don't know if it's intentional, but it looks like it
leans to the left).

I crit because I love. I'm really eager to see this font in its
completed form. I think it's quite elegant. I'm looking forward to an
italic. Will you do another weight?

-J

On Jun 24, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2009/6/24 Joshua A.C. Newman <joshua at joshuanewmandesign.com>:
>>
>> And by "decisions", I mean "mistakes".
>
> We all have to start somewhere, and the beauty of freedom is that
> mistakes can be fixed by anyone who cares about them.
>
>> Very nice! Positively Gillish! I think we may have a winner!
>
> Thanks :-)
>
>> Yeah, this is really nice. Do you mind if I tweak the glyphs I want
>> change? Or do you want critique that you can take or leave?
>
> The project deadline is in a few weeks, so I'll make a proper release
> around then with proper metadata (ie, license), an italic, and decent
> diacritics (the ones in that font are AWFUL)
>
> I'd surely welcome your comments, and if you want to tweak the glyphs
> and send them to me to take a look at, please do - however, until I
> make a proper release, you can't redistribute your modified version
> :-)
>
>>  I've been on a quest for a nice, clean, modern sans to use as the
>> official font
>> of the various Ashlar brands, but because the font has to be
>> distributed
>> (rather than just rendered once) it needs to be an open font.
>
> I'm VERY happy to hear this confirmation that there is commercial
> demand for open fonts.
>
>> I tell you this because I want to make sure you understand that the
>> open
>> sourceness of this will be used to the fullest extent. It will be
>> included
>> with every installation of the application to be used in body and
>> titles and
>> become a feature of the brand.
>
> That sounds great!
>
>> So, what license are you using for it?
>
> GPLv3, plus additional permissions for PDF embedding.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Joshua Newman Design
401.225.7222