[OpenFontLibrary] A preview of the fonts on OFL (includes a backup of nearly all fonts and a way to download them)

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Feb 13 14:17:35 PST 2010

[...]

> I also wonder, what are the chances of adding a tool into OFL to create
> previews of all font files and then adding the previews to the browse
> and font pages?
>
> Best regards
>
> Iwan

Thanks for your efforts in providing previews.

The tools which Ed Trager has worked on for the OFLB
(pango-cairo-font-playground) provide support for generating previews
beyond what "convert" from imagemagick currently allows us to do.
Should allow us to get rid of the questions marks and empty boxes... :-)

So integrated previewing is underway and will be available on the live
site hopefully soon.

BTW, OFL is the license and OFLB is the library :-)

People who are yet not aware of it may also be interested by the review
we run weekly for all the fonts in Debian: various metadata fields and
to-be-improved previewing too:  http://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/review/

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org