[Openicc] Re: <kein Betreff>

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Apr 7 09:37:49 PDT 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 02:27 am, Pablo dAngelo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been talking with Hal about creating display profiles using the
> affordable hardware with windows support. Maybe this is of general
> interest, since I'm probably not the only one who would like to use such
> monitor profiles under linux
>
> Hal V Engel wrote:
> > Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> >> As a short term solution for my profiling needs, I will have access to a
> >> colorvision spyder 2 for a few days, which I hopefully can use under
> >> Windows to create a monitor profile that is also useable under linux.
> >
> >The Windows profile is likely to not be very good for the Linux side since
> > it uses a different driver.  Remember when you profile a device you are
> > profiling the whole image processing chain including any software that is
> > in that chain.   On the other hand since you have access to the
> > measurement hardware if you also have access to a Windows box that you
> > can run right beside your Linux workstation (perhaps a borrowed laptop)
> > you should be able to get a set of measurements from the Linux box via
> > the Windows box and then feed these measurements into a profiler so you
> > will end up with a valid profile.  Both ArgyllCMS and LProf support the
> > use of an externally created measurement file for creating monitor
> > profiles.  So this is doable.
>
> I don't have access to the Colorvision Spyder 2 yet, but I doubt that it
> comes with software that can be used to measure single patches and output
> the measurements.

I have not looked specially at this device but I know that many of these
devices either come with or you can download a spot measurement software tool
that will allow you to do individual measurements.  I know this is true for
the Eye-One devices and also for many of the X-Rite devices.  If this is not
the case for the ColorVision devices then I don't think they will be very
usefull at this point for doing what you want to do.