[Openicc] Open Source compatible AdobeRGB profile

almccart at lexmark.com almccart at lexmark.com
Thu Jul 6 16:56:44 PDT 2006

I suspected using that term would get me in trouble :-)

It is probably better to think of these profiles as 'profiles that refer
standard color spaces'  -- NOT standard profiles.

When I used the term "standard" profiles I meant profiles that pertain to
standard
color encodings.
E.g., sRGB is a particular standard RGB encoding spec'd in IEC 61966-2-1.
A profile built to color convert that color encoding to/from ICC PCS  +
that also
adheres to the ICC profile specification - can be loosely called a
"standard profile"
but is still better thought of as a profile FOR a standard color space.

The ICC is working on posting some such profiles for the common RGB color
spaces and the CMYK color spaces that are defined in the ISO printing
standards.
The Adobe RGB profile is there now. [Perhaps open source systems can avoid
distribution licensing problems by not bundling the Adobe RGB profile but
rather
referring users to that website.]     www.eci.org has some of such
profiles as well.

So the short answer is - a color space encoding is determined to be
standard when
it is specified in an ISO or IEC standard, or is in wide use in public
domain [Adobe RGB].
Then a profile that is correctly built for that color space - can loosely be called a
standard profile.

Complicating caveat: note that profiles contain more than one color
conversion path.
The two major paths in all ICC profiles are 'perceptual rendering' and
'colorimetric
conversion'.  Any profile that contains a CLUT structure element in the
perceptual
rendering path will have proprietary behavior in that path. So those
profiles give
standard behavior only when used in a color matching - colorimetric
conversion
operation.

Best regards,
Ann McCarthy
Lexmark CPD
Imaging Systems Engineering

"To every complex problem there is a simple solution - and inevitably it
is wrong"   HL Mencken

Sven Neumann <sven at gimp.org>
07/06/2006 06:18 PM