[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 15 04:57:28 PST 2007

   Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:33:22 +0100
   From: "edmund ronald" <edmundronald at gmail.com>

   Never met a photographer using Linux, yet. Those guys must be
   really dumb, huh ?

   What Apple has managed to do is supply the *nix community with a
   *nix laptop where the sound card and video actually works
   (Xf86Config, anyone ?), which can hibernate without trashing the
   file system, with a system engineer in Cupertino doing the
   essential updates for you, and with software that actually does
   what you want *before* you finally locate the ".config" file. Oh,
   and yes, it can read the common media formats without going through
   conniptions.

   Let me say it again - Apple has just repackaged Unix so that people
   can drive the car without learning mechanics - if the Linux
   community had made the same user-oriented effort Linux would rule
   the world - anyone who has used an iPhone knows exactly what you
   can do with cleanly repackaged Unix.

I don't know how long it has been since you've tried Linux, but your
information's rather out of date.  I have no problem at all with
hibernate on my laptop, and the installer (OpenSUSE 10.2 and 10.3) has
had no trouble detecting my graphics and sound card correctly without
having to mess around manually with config files.  I've also had no
problems with any USB storage devices that I've tried.

It's a bit easier for Apple when it can restrict its OS to its own
hardware, and not have to worry about working with untold numbers of
different components and configurations.  Apple's a system vendor, not
an OS vendor.  I'd expect them to get that right.  Linux vendors in
general don't have that luxury.

There are a lot of user-oriented efforts going on within the Linux
community.  Try a recent Linux distribution (Fedora 8, Ubuntu Gutsy
Gopher, OpenSUSE 10.3).  You may find yourself surprised.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton