[Openicc] ICC support for HDR Images

Claudio Hoecker claudio.hoecker at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 04:46:03 PDT 2008

Hi,

IMHO what you need as a starting point is getting some experience in
how ICC-colormanagement works practically. Get yourself a copy of
Adobe Photoshop or use one of the lttlecms binaries to convert images
from one device color space into another one. Do this with different
profiles and different rendering intents and compare the results to
get the idea, that is behind it.

Next, try to understand the mechanisms from a lower level. How do the
transformations work internally. What is the Profile Connection Space.
What kind of ICC-profiles do exist and so on. You will definitely need
to read the ICC profile specifcation found at <http://www.color.org/>.
Antoher ressource to look at is the Apple website about color
management <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/csintro/csintro_intro/chapter_1_section_1.html
 > and I think there is something similar on the website of Adobe
Systems <http://www.adobe.com/>.

The Book "Real World Colormanagement" is a very good companion to your
practical approaches.

If you understand how this works in general, you can then figure out
the details of colorimetry, but I don't think this is absolutely
neccessary for ICC-support in HDR-images.

best regards
Claudio