[Openicc] Anounce : Oyranos Version 0.1.8

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Nov 2 13:10:06 PST 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 03:50:50 Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Cyrille checked the code into:
>
> svn co
> svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/graphics/kolor-manager
>
> It should be compatible with the new Oyranos version.
>

> I'd guess it is a bit too early for main streaming the dialog to KDE
> installations by default. There is some more work required to make it well
> designed, functional and tested. Nethertheless it is a valuable base to
> continue with.
>
> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann

I have tested the new version of Oyranos and the version of KM in KDE svn.
Everything works OK with in the limits of what is supported by Oyranos and the
rest of the system.  The monitor CM configuration stuff works nicely and all
you have to do to make it completely functional in KDE4 is to add oyranos-
monitor to System Settings -> Autostart and to have xcalib installed.  This
works fine on my dual monitor xinerama system but xcalib may not work on
XRandR 1.2 systems.  I have not tested that configuration.  As an option you
should install icc-examin as this will enable the KM to icc-examin
integration.   The current functionality in KM is comparable to the Windows
Color Management Control Panel Widget and when everything is working it will
have more functionality.

One nice enhancement to KM would be to have it automatically add oyranos-
monitor to the KDE Autostart list if a user configures a monitor profile.  At
this point KM has some stuff for configuring printers and scanners that is
functional in KM but not connected to anything in the system and some code
related to configuring cameras that is commented out.  Scanner, camera and
printer devices are currently not supported by Oyranos and of course there is
lots of work that needs to happen with printing work flows before it makes
sense to support this in Oyranos and KM.  Extending Oyranos and then KM to
fully support scanner and camera functionality should be fairly simple.

I think we should target KDE 4.3 for inclusion of KM since work on 4.2 is well
underway at this point.  In any case users who are running KDE4 should have a
look at the Oyranos, xcalib, icc-examin and KM combination since this setup is
already fairly feature rich and it will give you some ideas about what this
type of UI will look like.  It will also provide an opportunity to provide
feed back.   In addition it provides all of the functionality of oyranos-
config-fltk plus monitor configuration so this is a more complete GUI than
oyranos-config-fltk.

This version of Oyranos needs version 0.7.0 of elektra and if you had older
versions of elektra and Oyranos installed you will need to clean up the
Oyranos sections of the elektra database.  Remove /usr/etc/kdb/sw/oyranos and
~/.kdb/usr/sw/oyranos.  If you had an older version of KM installed you should
also remove ~/.kde<vesrion>/share/config/kolor-manager-globals where <version>
is distro specific.  This will give you a clean start with the current
versions of Oyranos and KM.

As a side note OpenICC has been in the GSoC program for two years now and has
had 4 GSoC projects.  So far all of our projects have been successful (meaning
that the students got enough work done to get a passing grade for the
project).  So we have had a 100% pass rate where GSoC has about an 70% overall
pass rate. Last years LProf project is now included as part of the LProf main
line and the KM project is now in KDE svn and could appear in a not too
distant release of KDE (does anyone know what the status is of the code
created for last years HDR tone mapping project is?).   So we are having a
fairly high success rate with our GSoC projects no matter how you measure it
as many of these projects either don't get a passing grade or do not get far
enough along to be included in a real world project.  It would be really great
if we could get this years CM Near X project into good enough shape to get it
accepted by the compitz project and maybe someone here has some ideas about
how to go about that.

Hal