[Openicc] Fedora CM, was: Google Summer of Code . . .

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri May 21 10:34:43 PDT 2010

On Friday 21 May 2010, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 21 May 2010 07:07, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Your argumentation of Elektra being dead is amusing.
>
> Out of interest, what other projects have a hard dependency on Elektra?
I must say that the dependency on Elektra is kind of a problem I also have
with oyranos, when it comes to consider pushing the KDE Control panel into KDE
SC (and using it for Krita's color management needs). Pushing one new
dependency for something that most people consider to be a "gadget" is already
going to be hard work, but two of them it is almost mission impossible.

I could not find a distribution that have a package of elektra (I checked for
Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSuSE (for which I found a package on the build service
by community people, I would not consider it to be an official one though), I
didn't check FC/RH, I assumed Richard would not make a big deal if it was
included...). So that mean that KDE packagers would have to take care of
maintaining two new packages for the purpose of supporting color management.
And since KDE's policy is to have most dependency optional, I fear very few
distributions would go and ship it.

I even looked at whether it would be possible to not use elekra in oyranos...
but well, I follow Hubert's advices and choose to avoid C :)

As for standard interfaces, configuration, they are always a good thing even
with a single implementation. So I am all for it. But please, lets avoid the
dbus daemon, I fail to see what it brings.

--
Cyrille Berger