[Openicc] Communication between Printer Driver and Oyranos

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Jan 24 03:00:01 PST 2011

Am 24.01.11, 09:50 -0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 23 January 2011 20:46, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
>> PS: it would be also interesting for me to hear, what people form the Gnome
>> colormanager community would think about this workflow idea.
>
> To be honest, I think the qualifier idea of ColorSync (with the same
> idea in colord) works well enough for all but the true-professional
> use case.

Exactly that was questioned multiple times in the previous threads by
various experts.

> I think it makes a lot of sense to talk about target groups of user
> and what high level interactions they *want* to have with a CMS, and
> from real research, the number of people that actually know what a CMS
> is, how it works, and actually want anything else than "make the
> printer look right" is a tiny, tiny fraction of the desktop userbase.

Agreed. OpenICC people have done this some years ago. The page is here:
http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_the_users_want

> As soon as we ask the user what dithering algorithm they want to use,
> or if the paper has FWA added, we've failed.

Agreed. Additionally user should not fiddle with settings.

> With colord, I'm aiming to solve 100% of the problem for 95% of users.

Reads like pure marketing.

> The other 5% already know what they are doing and don't need DBus
> interfaces and shiny GUIs to configure things.

I doubt this holds true as well. Experienced users need GUIs
to override default settings. From my research, these users do not want to
fiddle with PPDs, root access and so on. Colour managment for printing is
today already possible. Just not even 0.5% of the users want to learn that
without an GUI.