[Openicc] Communication between Printer Driver and Oyranos

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Tue Jan 25 05:13:56 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 7:22 PM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

> I don't think it actually matters very much *which* file format we end up using, just so long as it exists, is flexible enough to hold all the data we need, and isn't too much of a nightmare to parse!
>
> A library to read the format would be useful, and it would be better if it were distinct from libgutenprintui2 - so we don't end up with potential server-side tools with a GTK dependency!

Yes, keeping such a library portable and clean seems like a good idea. Even in Inkscape there are some areas that I've kept to pure C or C++ so that they could easily be reused in other apps that might be Qt, KDE or other-than-GTK based.

Also in the past I've successfully abstracted XML consuming code so that a specific project using some common 'format parsing' code could supply it's own XML parser, with libxml, expat and MS's XML or QtXml code all as working and supported.