[Openicc] Print Color Pipeline

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:40:42 PST 2011

On 24 January 2011 18:01, Hal V. Engel <hvengel at gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenPrinting in conjunction with Peter Skilling (Peter is also the person who
> is working with GIMP on it's UI) has a nice printing UI designed as part of
> it's Common Printing Dialog project.  Unfortunately work on the CPD is at a
> standstill because of funding short falls.

Right. My personal view is that the open printing stuff needs to be
pushed into a proper desktop stack like Qt and/or GTK+, but then I'm a
toolkit kinda guy.

> CPD, CUPS and Oyranos/colord need to be considered as a whole since these need
> to integrate with each other in order to provide a seamless printing
> environment.

I think it would make a lot of sense to write a colord<->oyranos shim
using DBus so oyranos can talk to colord and vice-versa.

> As a side note the CPD also uses DBus.

Yes, I think DBus is a very sane dependency, even for embedded use.

Richard.