[Openicc] CUPS Color Management under Linux gets into distros

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 8 15:18:41 PST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> So it appears
> that poppler currently always does relative colormetric intent regardless of what intents
> in coded into the PDF file for it's objects.  I can live with this for initial testing of the
> workflow but it does need to be fixed before this is considered production.
Agreed. And it is a little dicey to sort out, we need to keep in mind the failure of color management with PNG before ICC was included in the spec. And the failure was two part, but in my view primarily one and that was the viewer. Some applications would include incorrect metadata (cHRM and gAMA chunks), and any application that honored them would display the PNG incorrectly. So those viewers, since they were blamed, would ignore cHRM and gAMA. The result is that cHRM and gAMA were considered unreliable and now no one honors them, that I know of and they probably shouldn't at this point.

If interpreters for PDF take this path, and ignore the intent in the PDF in the first transformation, we will create interoperability problems and reduce the reliability of the intent. So if the intent is present, it should be used. There is a default intent if it's not present, and I think that's RelCol without BPC which is really not good. But I hope I'm wrong and it's perceptual.