[Openicc] colord Printing Plans, CPD and Gutenprint

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Feb 28 16:51:32 PST 2011

Richard Hughes wrote:
> No, I don't think options are a good idea in this case. You really
> just want the profiling software to do this automatically, or at very
> most, a single checkbox that controls the Inhibit interface:
> http://gitorious.org/colord/master/blobs/master/src/org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Device.xml#line312

The simplest and most robust way for the profiling software to do this, is to be
able to mark the document appropriately. ie. it shouldn't have to interrogate
or set anything in the printing system or CMM to do this. It shouldn't
matter when the chart is printed or what system it is printed on,
it should be printed without color management.

[But don't forget there are typically two or three levels of color management
  in a printing system:- per native channel calibration, composite per channel
  calibration, and profiles, so there needs to be ways of marking a chart as a
  native calibration, composite calibration or profiling chart.
  And these may be in different color spaces, ie. Native calibration may be
  lc, lm, C, M, Y, lk, K etc, while the composite calibrated and profiling
  space may be CMYK]