[Openicc] colord Printing Plans GhostScript

Michael Vrhel michael.vrhel at artifex.com
Mon Feb 28 22:09:11 PST 2011

Hi Jan-Peter,

So yes, ghostscript does apply ICC base color transformations on Postscript
files and this is true even for DeviceRGB and DeviceCMYK.
I need to add in the interface for rendering intent and black point
compensation.  That will be coming shortly.  In fact, I am also adding in
the ability to specify different output profiles for graphics, images, and
text as ghostscript keeps track of these objects during rendering, even
through transparency blending.   The specification for these options is
primarily through the CLI but can be made through special configurations.

As far as "turning off" transformations for DeviceRGB or DeviceCMYK, that
will occur in cases where the source and destination profiles are the same.
The obvious example occurs if I have a document that has an RGB image and a
CMYK image and I am printing to a CMYK device.  In this case, the RGB image
will have to be transformed in some manner.  That transformation is under
your control by specifying the desired default RGB source profile to use.
For the CMYK image,  if you did not want the data touched, you should make
sure that your default CMYK source profile is the same as your destination
profile.  The CMYK data will then pass through unmolested.

Kind Regards,

Michael