[Openicc] Printing Plans GhostScript

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Mar 1 02:15:32 PST 2011

Hello Michael,

Am 28.02.11, 22:09 -0800 schrieb Michael Vrhel:
> Hi Jan-Peter,
>
> So yes, ghostscript does apply ICC base color transformations on Postscript
> files and this is true even for DeviceRGB and DeviceCMYK.
> I need to add in the interface for rendering intent and black point
> compensation.  That will be coming shortly.  In fact, I am also adding in the
> ability to specify different output profiles for graphics, images, and text
> as ghostscript keeps track of these objects during rendering, even through
> transparency blending.   The specification for these options is primarily
> through the CLI but can be made through special configurations.

Would it possible to pass those profiles along the PDF document itself?

> As far as "turning off" transformations for DeviceRGB or DeviceCMYK, that
> will occur in cases where the source and destination profiles are the same.

We came several time to the conclusion that this scheme is not realy
robust. So we would be happy you could point us to an other mechanism as
well.

> The obvious example occurs if I have a document that has an RGB image and a
> CMYK image and I am printing to a CMYK device.  In this case, the RGB image
> will have to be transformed in some manner.  That transformation is under
> your control by specifying the desired default RGB source profile to use. For
> the CMYK image,  if you did not want the data touched, you should make sure
> that your default CMYK source profile is the same as your destination
> profile.  The CMYK data will then pass through unmolested.

Will adding a OutputIntent to a PDF/X (A/E) be honoured for DeviceXXX
objects by Ghostscript? Leonard pointed this requirement out [1].
It could then be used to pass through unmolested Cmyk or DeviceN to a
according configured printer.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/openicc/2011q1/002770.html