[Openicc] Helping with colord

Andrzej Nowicki andrzej.nowicki80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:15:52 PST 2011

On 7 March 2011 13:00, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:
> Andrzej Nowicki wrote:
>> 1.    Oyranos had a poor chance of being picked up by distributions
> Are there specific reasons you came to that conclusion ?

Specific reasons were:

1.    No reason for distributions to include oyranos by default as
there were no apps demanding it
2.    Dependencies of oyranos are not already included by default
3.    An over-complicated codebase with it's own object system

Other reasons exist.

>> 2.    Oyranos had no dbus interfaces (we use dbus many times in our
>> research projects)
>
> Perhaps a dbus interface could be added to Oyranos ?

I remember the author disliking dbus in public.

> Perhaps someone could write python interface code ?

Yes, this is one thing we talked about.

> I would hope that any software that has merit would have a chance of
> being included in distributions, although a software ecosystem that
> depends on distribution "king makers" is a poor one in my view.

I am not sure of the term "king makers", sorry.

Many thanks,

Andrzej NOWICKI