[Openicc] colord 0.1.9 released - CM Framework - Printer Driver

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:21:15 PDT 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:26:32 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 20 June 2011 16:15, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Thats illusionary. To call the user wish *insane* to have multiple CMS
>> on board is exceeding. Sounds like users are insane when they wish to
>> install KDE if they have GNOME on the partition, or can not install
>> Windows when there is Linux on the computer.
>
> A user desktop environment is a different thing to a system framework.
>
> I also think people are insane when they try to run ConnMan and
> NetworkManager at the same time, upstart and systemd, or mix dmraid
> with mdraid devices.
>
> As soon as you have 'n' applications interfacing with 'n' subsystems
> doing the same thing, then you have n^2 complexity. We can't even get
> applications like OpenOffice color managed, or get ICC v4 profiles
> working in firefox, so asking for true runtime interoperability
> between differing CMFs is just wishful thinking at best.

This discussion is not relevant to my point.  There doesn't need to be
more than one CMF installed (much less in use) at one time; simply the
*existence* of more than one CMF would mean that we'd have to have
special code for each one available.  Suppose OpenSUSE were to use one
CMF, Fedora another, and Ubuntu yet something else?  Then we (and
every other driver writer) would have to maintain code to determine
which one is in use and communicate with it.  That doesn't make any
sense at all.