[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:35:35 PST 2012

Kai-Uwe,

I am sorry I replied very hurriedly to your message. You are surprised that
at Gutenprint we are so eager to resort to profiles. Please let me explain
a bit more. The reason is that (hopefully) this will simplify the work of
supporting *new* printers and media, and in fact (hopefully) will allow us
to crowdsource such support.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 18.01.12, 21:35 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
>
>  The way we want to go is for Gutenprint is to be completely profile-based
>> in the future, ie. every base media type preset for new printers will come
>> with a profile.
>>

> So you become practical your own profile vendor. Interessting. I did not
> realise such plans exist

Yes, we will bundle our own profiles in the same way as Epson or Canon now
provide profiles with every one of their proprietary photo printer drivers,
and in the same way as people who make RIPS for the graphics industry.
Color management is really useful :)

>  This means that instead of lengthy manual tuning for a new printer, we
>> will
>> quickly determine acceptable base media ink settings and run a profiler to
>> get decent colors with those settings. In this way we will be able to
>> bring
>> up new printers quickly, we hope.
>>

> How do you plan to distribute your virtual hundreds of profiles?

I think we will do exactly the same thing as the printer vendors do: For
each *new* printer we will make a few base profiles for "generic" matte and
glossy media that will allow Joe User to get a decent print; and for the
rest, well, ,we expect that users will make profiles themselves, order them
made if necessary, and exchange them on the internet, along with tuned ink
presets.

At the moment for each new printer settings need to be carefully tuned
manually for each paper type; thanks to profiling technology it should be
faster to support a new printer once we know how to get it to put ink on
paper.

>  Indeed we hope that in the future the print pipeline will supply a way to
>> convert from sRGB into the printer profile and print, thereby fulfilling
>> the needs of Joe User and his compact camera, or the needs of someone
>> wanting to print images downloaded from the web,
>>

> Great.
>

>  Of course, domain experts, color consultants, and users who wish to have
>> fun will be free to tinker and determine better ink settings and make
>> better profiles than those we release.
>>

> Do you plan to document your procedure and/or tools?
>
> Yes, of course. In fact it is our hope that users will help us write tools
that allow optimal ink curves and such to be quickly determined for a new
printer type, thereby enabling the whole community to join together to
allow graphics users and in particular Linux users  to have access to the
newest printers.

I should stress that I own various spectros, and will make "canned" bundled
profiles for Gutenprint; As my instruments are very fast it takes me about
5 minutes to make a profile, so I do not expect a work overload. I will
make a quick profile for anyone who sends me an A4  printed target, maybe
requesting a nominal fee. Of course if someone wants a 5000 patch Atkinson
target read, I may really require a fee.

Profiles made with Graeme's excellent Argyll are of course entirely free of
copyright issues. And I will take the distribution issues up personally
with other profiling software vendors if and as they occur. Profiling tool
vendors are sympathetic to us because more profiles in use means more
instruments sold :) Indeed, Xrite have very kindly donated an instrument to
help Robert with linearisation.

Edmund