[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 25 08:10:10 PST 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 2:19 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> As it was not clear in the past how to place Gutenprint calibration data passed along PPD files, I am much interessted how does the situation change for that through IPP.
> How do you plan to populate your calibration data along Gutenprint vendor ICC profiles in a IPP world? Do you plan to make use of the IPP "printer-icc-profiles" attribute and the associated job ticket attributes?

Gutenprint "calibration" data isn't something that can be passed as options presently; at the IPP level we can support sending arbitrarily-long lists of numbers (as might be used for a lookup table) as an attribute which the driver will see as a comma-delimited string on the command-line, however that seems like a poor solution in the long term since it requires the application or toolkit to furnish that data each time.

(Gutenprint *does* have a real 16-bit per color DeviceN path, and if that path was supported by Ghostscript then that would likely be a viable option for an ICC-based workflow...)