[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 10 04:33:04 PDT 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012 09:46:59 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 10 May 2012 09:19, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  however there are cases when we specifically *need*
>> some engineering tools to be provided, and this such a case.
>
> colord provides a DBus API method call called ProfilingInhibit() which
> basically says to colord "Don't return any profiles for this device"
> and is active until the application calls ProfilingUninhibit(). Is
> this the kind of thing you're looking for?

No.  We want an option -- a user-level option, on a par with others such
as paper size, media type, and resolution -- to do this.  Not an API
that requires application modification.

We believe that it's essential that any application be able to print a
profiling target for the following reasons (Edmund, as our color expert,
can elaborate):

1) User familiarity: users may prefer to print targets from an
application of their choice.

2) End to end profiling: a user may wish to profile the entire print
chain, including application behavior.

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton