[Openicc] Gutenprint mission as Linux moves towards color managed workflows

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon May 14 02:31:54 PDT 2012

> Edmund, Robert and Graeme,
>
> do you agree to map a additional org.linuxfoundation.**calibration=off
> option to Gutenprint's ColorCorrection=Raw makes sense?
>
> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe
>
> Kai-Uwe,

NO. Under no circumstances.
The CUPS "color-management=off" flag and the internal Gutenprint flags
cannot be linked.
This would break the intended  functionality.

As an example, assume I want to profile one of the *existing* historical
print workflows for say an Epson 9600; the present PPD  invokes a lot of
hand-established calibration, but as a first attempt I would simply switch
CM off at the system level and attempt to profile over the existing
behavior in the hope that the result is usable. So in this example, I would
not be using the "Raw" flag in Gutenprint.

Edmund