[Openicc] Printing profiling targets - state of implementation?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 21 12:38:14 PDT 2013

On 21 May 2013 20:14, edmund ronald <edmundronald at gmail.com> wrote:
>  At this point let me be really clear.  We wish to use apps like the GIMP to
> print our targets on a queue, with no color management.

I don't think that's going to be possible. We're certainly *not* going to put a:

[X] Disable Color Management

...into the GTK print dialog any time soon. They'll be either a
calibration app that can print the target, or an API call that can be
used. Printing targets is really 0.00001% of users and an incredible
niche, one that we don't want to add complexity to an already complex
dialog box for.

> The option to disable color management can be set in the ppd

Doesn't this mean you'll *never* get CM for the print job? Also, PPDs
are not really designed to be modified by end users, and in the future
going away completely. If you added an option there it would be okay
to support it in pstoraster and foomatic, but it's not the kind of
thing we want to add to PPDs by default, so to speak.

> However if you disagree with providing this option after having
> discussed it "amongst yourselves", your chances of active cooperation from
> us re. color management will be very strongly diminished.

Can you clarify who 'us' is?

Richard