[Openicc] Printing profiling targets - state of implementation?

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue May 21 19:30:25 PDT 2013

Richard Hughes wrote:

> ...into the GTK print dialog any time soon. They'll be either a
> calibration app that can print the target, or an API call that can be
> used. Printing targets is really 0.00001% of users and an incredible
> niche, one that we don't want to add complexity to an already complex
> dialog box for.

Right, but if it's not possible to profile & calibrate, you may as well
not bother with color management, since there is nothing to plug
into it. Throwing around numbers like "0.00001%" is pointless and
misleading - it's not about popularity, it's about being able to
function. No, you cannot assume a special app., because if you want
Linux to be an interesting eco-system, it needs to be open.

For the same reason you cannot assume that the print sub-system is
the only thing doing color management - there is a need to
allow applications and manual workflows to manage color as well.
(ie. are you allowing device links ? No ? - then allowing for alternate
workflows that use device links is needed.)

Yes, setting up a special queue that has color management off
is probably OK. Yes, provide a way for special apps to mark
individual jobs as not color managed. Yes provide a separate
flags for calibration and profiling being turned off.