[packagekit] GetDescription API Request

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 25 17:04:53 PST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 26.02.2008, 01:28 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 00:46 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > would be nice if the description could include line breaks. I could
> > not find the place where there are getting removed.
>
> Well, it might come from the fact that the old spawned backend needed
> ";" rather than newlines. It might be a good idea to come up with some
> trivial markup script to allow embedding of links or bullets.

Using the Unicode symbol for the bullet should be enough.

I modified a GtkTreeView to detect and convert URLs in gnome-app-install
if you need a starting point.

> > Furthermore I would like to specify the language/locale of the
> > description as an argument to the GetDescription method. For apt we
> > can do all the translation work in the apt backend.
>
> No, I don't think this is a good idea at all - the daemon has to stay
> locale independent as we may be using the daemon from multiple user
> locales. Are you using gettext for the apt stuff? Can we add this as
> offline gettexting?

We retrieve the description from another cache. Since the locale could
be specified by each GetDescription or SearchDetail call, I don't see
why this should be a problem? If not given the default locale will still
be C.

I don't see how translations and searches in a not C locale could be
supported without doing the work in the backend. Furthermore we want to
use different stemmers for each language, which would not be possible
otherwise.