[packagekit] make distclean does not undo all changes

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Sat Aug 28 11:25:07 PDT 2010

>Funny, at time I am migrating the Listaller Project from an own
>Automake-like build system to CMake because of exactly the same problems.
>(And the fact that I now have to manage some Autopackage stuff to which is
>developed in Vala)
>CMake is a great system, the only thing I don't like is the way of
>defining configure options (--enable-qt looks much better than -DUSE_QT=ON
>:D)
Hehe, sure that's the only thing I don't like either BUT, as you can have
cmake-gui or the other text based configurator it starts to be much better.

>If Richard decides to change the build system, I would help with the
>migration, but I am no Automake expert too.
>I was always able to realise everything I needed in CMake, but Automake is
>far the most powerful and configurable build system and I heard from some
>projects they do not use CMake because it does not offer all functionality
>the Autotools do. (I don't know if this is true, KDE uses CMake with
>success)
I'm no CMake expert but I really doubt that it's very powerful imo
this sentence must be true if the user don't actually know how to
translate Automake -> cmake.

>Anyway:  I found a workaround for the DEB-package patch problem, so it is
>less annoying now.

Nice, I have already started the port to CMake some time ago,
it almost builds packagekit-glib2, I'll try to work on that tomorrow since
pk-glib is the most complicated part because of the marchal generator.

Best.