[Piglit] The beginnings of a git-based website for piglit

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Feb 16 17:16:39 PST 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:46:52 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Over lunch yesterday, Eric mentioned how he's like to setup a git-based
> website for piglit, (and how he had been struggling with getting ikiwiki
> setup). We both had the insight that if we didn't care to support any
> web-based editing, (publishing only via git), that there's almost no
> code to write to get something working.

Nice!  This was much easier to get started with than my ikiwiki
adventures.

> So one can build the html with just "make" and could even install it to
> the live website (assuming appropriate permissions) with "make publish"
> after setting:
>
> 	PUBLISH_PATH=annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www

Couple of concerns from my local machine:

Publishing website to annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www/
mkdir -p "annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www/"
rsync -avz --exclude-from=.publish-exclude . "annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www/"
Enter passphrase for key '/home/anholt/.ssh/id_rsa':
sending incremental file list
./
rsync: failed to set times on "/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www/.": Operation not permitted (1)
annarchy.freedesktop.org:/
annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/
annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/
annarchy.freedesktop.org:/srv/piglit.freedesktop.org/www/

So my locally built version got uploaded, but also this
annarchy.freedesktop.org:/ directory.

> Alternately, I've coded up a git hook that will automatically publish
> the website when a commit is received. That's included below[2].
>
> Next steps:
>
>   1. Add content from this email to a README, (including adding the
>      sample hook file to the repository).
>
>   2. Think about what might go wrong if people push simultaneously to a
>      shared repository with the hook enabled. One option is to make
>      unique working directories for each user, (things would be less
>      efficient if we did a new working directory for every instance of
>      the hook running).
>
>   3. Add support for publishing branches of the website, (so that users
>      can preview their changes on the real web server before changing
>      the live content). This is a simple matter of looping over the
>      input to the post-receive hook act publishing to a different
>      directory for each.
>
>   4. Create some actual content for the website.

I actually tried using this first, by making your repository
group-writable and pushing my first changes there.  That blew up, as it
tried to make a working copy in your homedir.  So, pretty much exactly
the problem you foresaw.