[Piglit] Requiring Python 3.x for Piglit?

Paul Berry stereotype441 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:22:20 PDT 2013

On 17 April 2013 09:54, Paul Berry <stereotype441 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 April 2013 07:37, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:
>> On 04/17/2013 03:48 AM, Kenneth Graunke wrote:
>>> Does anyone object to porting to Python 3.x (and dropping 2.x support)?
>>> Some useful data points:
>>> - Debian stable has 3.1, testing/unstable have 3.2
>>> - Fedora 18 and Arch Linux have 3.3
>>> - Windows installers for 3.3 are available on python.org
>>> - Mac OS X support for 3.3 is also available on python.org
>>> - numpy and mako are both available for Python 3 now. numpy is
>>> packaged on Arch and Debian testing/unstable. Not sure how much of a
>>> pain it is to get on Windows/OSX.
>>> - intel-gpu-tools now requires Python 3.x to build.
>>> Jon Severinsson did a great job in making a hybrid solution that works
>>> with both Python 2 and 3, but I'm a bit nervous about some of it. For
>>> example, unicode stuff has bitten us in the past, and supporting only
>>> one major language version seems a lot easier to get right. It'd also
>>> be a lot cleaner to just transition to Python 3.x.
>> We have an environment here that uses Python 2.6.  I've had to hack a few
>> things to make piglit work there but it's not bad.  Going to Python 3.x
>> might be pretty painful, but I'd have to do some research to know for sure,
>> and I don't have time right now.
> Are you at liberty to describe a little bit more about this system, and
> why it's difficult to upgrade to Python 3.x on it?  Since Python 3.x can
> safely coexist with Python 2.x on the same machine, I'm having trouble
> imagining why this would be a source of difficulty.
>> Can we please hold off on this for a while?
> What do you think a reasonable amount of time would be to wait?

Based on some off-list discussion with Brian and Ian, I think it's
reasonable to hold these patches back for a short time (maybe a month) to
give people time to get ready for the transition.  Here's what I propose:
Let's make a branch right now that requires Python 3.x, so that people can
start testing their Python 3.x integration immediately, and then let's plan
on merging that branch to master on May 20.

If anyone winds up needing a little more time than that to bring their test
systems up to speed, they can always branch piglit from right before the
merge point.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/piglit/attachments/20130418/09da2a37/attachment.html>

More information about the Piglit mailing list