[Pixman] Unable to build master on Raspberry PI

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:48:48 PST 2014

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 10:12:05 +0000
Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>   I wonder if anyone else ever tried to build directly on the R-Pi without
> reaching the (in)famous "Max. number of generated reload insns per insn is
> achieved (90)" point.
>
> I can build just fine with same dependencies and OS ( Arch Linux )
> everywhere else but in the ARM v6 hf I keep having troubles.
>
> I know this error is usually a GCC one and I am not sure I should even
> bother here, but from mesa to cairo, including varius xorg, pixman is the
> only one that never manages to complete its build.
>
> Will try eventually a stable branch instead of latest from master and let
> you know.
>
> Thanks for any outcome ( if any, thanks for pixman otherwise anyway )

I have just tested building the current pixman master branch on an
ARM board with GCC 4.8.3. It compiled fine and passed the 'make check'
tests. The native and crosscompiled builds of pixman should generally
work fine on ARM.

First of all, you can probably try to ensure that the compiler is not
running out of memory and maybe enable a large swap. Raspberry Pi
does not have much RAM.

Also pixman uses deep inlining and somewhat complicated code constructs
in some places. And it has triggered a number of compiler bugs in the
past. Especially with the unstable/experimental dot-zero versions of
compilers. In such cases, we typically report problems to GCC/Clang
developers and the problems tend to be addressed relatively fast.
Tools like C-Reduce can be used for finding a smaller testcase when
debugging internal compiler error problems:
    http://embed.cs.utah.edu/creduce/

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka