Custom boot splash theme not shown across all of screen

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue May 17 07:54:43 UTC 2016

> Hi all,
>
> I've made a custom boot splash theme for Plymouth (see attached .tar.gz).
>
> It shows our logo and a progress bar underneath.
>
> The theme works great on my laptop (Thinkpad T440s), but when installed on
> the target machine, a stationary PC with an LCD panel (embedded
> application), the boot splash is shown in the top-left corner of the screen.
>
> It's as if Plymouth (or something else involved?) is not getting the
> screen size/extents right.
>
> Anyone bumped into this and know what the problem might be?
>
> The graphics card used during booting is from Intel, and KMS is enabled.
>
> I'll take a photograph of the bootup ASAP and send here.

I've noticed one thing in the Kubuntu default theme now, it has these two
functions defined:

Window.GetMaxWidth = fun() {
    width = 0;
    for (i = 0; Window.GetWidth(i); i++) {
        width = Math.Max(width, Window.GetWidth(i));
    }
    return width;
};

Window.GetMaxHeight = fun() {
    height = 0;
    for (i = 0; Window.GetHeight(i); i++) {
        height = Math.Max(height, Window.GetHeight(i));
    }
    return height;
};

This leads me to think that I need to do something similar. I didn't know
Window.GetHeight/GetWidth could take a parameter. These functions don't
seem to be used in the Kubuntu theme though.

Anyone who could shed some light on this? What is the parameter for? Will
it give the width/height of the given screen (for multi-screen setups?).

Our machine has just one screen, but perhaps Plymouth somehow thinks it has
several?

I'll experiment some with this later.

Elvis