[Pm-utils] running xset after resume/thaw

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 21:02:56 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 17:09 -0700, Pedro R wrote:
> Hello,
>
> due to a bug in Debian testing I need to run the xset command after resume/thaw to set my DPMS (monitor power settings).
> The command is "xset dpms 0 0 600"

If you need to do that, then the video driver is not properly handling
your system and display combo across suspend/resume.  You should also go
ahead and file a bug with the driver author of your video card.

> My script is 02dpms and it is in /etc/pm/power.d/.
> However, on resume the output is the following:
> xset:  unable to open display ""

Yeah, pm-utils knows nothing about X, and we prefer to not teach it
about X -- it makes it too easy for X video drivers to not handle
suspend/resume correctly, and we already have enough fun trying to
handle video quirks when X is not involved.

> which means that xorg is not ready to accept that command. So I was wondering if there is any way to guarantee that the script runs after xorg has been completely restored or is there any other workaround?

Not easily, no.  Your script will need to be smart enough to figure out
all the X related stuff it needs on its own (the DISPLAY env variable,
any authentication/security stuff it needs, figuring out whether X is
actaulyl running, and so on) -- pm-utils does not have any canned
functionality that will help you there.