[poppler] status check on PDF annotations

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jun 21 10:13:28 PDT 2006

A Dimecres 21 Juny 2006 16:51, Jack Tanner va escriure:
> When I read PDFs in Acrobat, I like to leave myself notes with the Note
> Tool. I'm happy to use Acrobat and Note Tool for now, but I want to know
> that in the future,  I can read/edit/create new annotations using Free
> software.
>
> Evince can't display annotations yet (evince-0.5.1-3, poppler-0.5.1-2 on
> FC5), but from looking at Bugzilla and the mailing list, it seems that
> there's some relevant code in CVS under qt4/src, if I'm understanding this
> correctly.
>
> Does this code only display annotations if one's using the qt4 wrapper? If
> so, what application can I use to read these annotations?

Henrique already did an almost perfect answer, so i'll only answer you have to
use okular for reading annotations, but
a) okular is KDE4 and such is unstable and you have to be quite KDE
experimented to even get it to build
b) the code for showing annotations is not perfect nor complete.

There's also another SOC student implementing annotations for okular (apart
from Henrique that is doing the same for evince). So i am quite confident
that next october/november we will have "some" degree of support for reading
and writing annotations.

Albert