[poppler] ABI stability

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Thu May 24 18:13:21 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

Poppler has a history of bumping the so-version of libpoppler with (almost)
every release, requiring everything that links to it to be recompiled. Now,
generally I consider that to be up to the project. If you can't commit to a
stable ABI for whatever reason, then so be it. However, recently this has
gotten a *bit* excessive.

Considering the long history the library now has, I was wondering if it
wouldn't be possible to commit to at least some stability? I do see the value
in not having restrictions on when to add what feature and keeping release
cycles small, so I'm not asking for LTS releases or some such, but breaking
ABI every month seems a bit much.

Of course, there's also the possibility that I'm missing something, in which
case, mea culpa. However, I would still appreciate some explanation in that
case, if only for my personal curiosity :)

Grs,
Heinz