[Portland] kdialog and zenity

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Apr 18 16:39:10 EEST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 14:15, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> (This falls under open a file/directory/url selector dialog from shell
> script in the Medium Term Tasks)
>
> For the file open script I was looking at kdialog and zenity, they both
> have problems with their output when requesting multiple files.  kdialog
> uses spaces for separators and zenity uses pipe (but is configurable to
> spaces). If you have a file with spaces or pipes in them they both happily
> spit them out unfortunately.

kdialog can also separate by lines, the zenity separator can be transformed to
newline as well, maybe even specified directly

> A few questions:
> - Anyone happen to know if gnome has an official application like kdialog
> for command line dialogs?

Good question. Gnome developers seem so far not to be interested in
participating, but according to Debian's meta packages zenity is part of the
gnome desktop task.

> - Would Encoded url's be the preferred output (especially with virtual fs's
> being more used these days)?

Hmm. My current attempt is local files only to avoid this complexity at least
for now. Maybe switchable through a commandline argument.

> -Anyone else started working on this?

Yes, I committed a first version on Friday: xdg-file-dialog
Only basic stuff, no title, etc

Cheers,
Kevin

--